Skip to main content

Full text of "The borough town of Westchester. An address delivered by Fordham Morris, on the 28th day of October, 1896, before the Westchester County Historical Society in the Court House, at White Plains, N.Y"

See other formats


iiss  h 


iiook  Jil^ki^ 


PRi;si;xTi;n  by 


THE    BOROUGH    TOWN 


OF 


WESTCHESTER. 


AN  ADDRESS  DELIVERED    BY 

FORDHAM  MORRIS, 

on  the  28th  day  of  October,   1896, 

BEFORE  THE 

Westchester  County  Historical  Society, 

IN  THE 

COURT   HOUSE, 
at  White  Plains,  N.  Y. 


Gift 
The  Society 

18  I  05 


Vc 


The     Borough    Town    of 
Westchester. 


a^.O> 


By  a  law  passed  in  1895,  this  ancient  township 
has  become  a  part  of  New  York  city. 

Curious  to  relate,  it  eiiters  the  city  with  practi- 
cally the  same  boundaries  as  were  prescribed  and 
intended  in  its  first  patent  and  charter,  229  years 
ago.  Its  natural  characteristics  are  :  tide  water  or 
streams  on  its  boundaries — rolling  ridges,  with 
an  altitude  at  the  very  highest  point  not  exceeding 
200  feet  above  tide  level,  placed  so  as  to  afford 
pleasing  prospects  across  its  salt  meadows  or  lower 
plateaus,  valleys  running  into  each  other,  afford- 
ing convenient  sites  for  streets,  railways  and  drain- 
age operations,  while  its  shores  recede  inland  on 
gentle  grades  with  estuaries  from  deep  navigable 
waters,  presenting  easy  problems  for  the  engineer 
and  dockbuilder  to  change  it  from  rural  to  city 
uses. 

Its  boundaries  are  East  River  to  the  south,  the 
Bronx  River  to  the  west,  Eastchester  Town  to  the 
north,  and  Hutchinson's  River  and  Pelham  Bay  to 
the  east.  It  brings  nearly  ten  thousand  acres 
into  the  city  territory,  and  adds  about  ten,  thousand 
people  to  its  population.     This  is  only  an  estimate, 


2  THE   BOnorGTI   TOWN   OF   WESTCHESTER. 

as  we  liave  110  recent  census    to  guide   ns,   and   its 
recent  growth    has   been  i^henomenal. 

The  Sinoway  was  the  Indian  tribe  inhabiting 
the  region  before  ics  settlement  by  whites.  This 
tribe  was  probably  friendl}^  for  no  record  of  its 
participation  in  war  appears,  though  some  of  its  in- 
land neighbors  were  hostile.  The  Indian  villages 
within  the  township  were  t\Yo  :  one  in  the  Bear 
Swamp,  near  where  the  Morris  Park  race  track  is 
situated,  the  oLher  on  Castle  Hill  Neck  on  the  west- 
ern side  of  the  outlet  of  Westchester  Creek. 
Adri?en  Blok,  on  his  voyage  of  discovery  of  East 
River  and  Long  Island  Sound  was  probably  the 
first  white  man  who  saw  their  wigwams  perched  on 
tile  crown  of  i'nstle  Hill,  where  the  Screven  place 
now  is.  Tlie  Dutch  as  early  as  1639-40,  to  extin- 
guish the  Indian  title,  had  purchased  from  them, 
receiving  two  deeds  of  all  the  lands  we  now  know 
to  be  within  the  bounds  of  Westchester  County. 
From  those  two  deeds  and  the  original  discovery  of 
the  water  fronts  on  both  the  Hudson  and  Sound 
sides  of  Westchester  Count j^  the  primal  jurisdic- 
tion based  on  discovery  as  well  as  purchase  gave  the 
Dutch  undoubted  govei-n mental  and  proprietary 
authority. 

Shortly  after  the  purcliase,  one  John  Throckmor- 
ton settled  on  what  we  now  call  Throgg's  Neck  and 
.soon  afterwards  one  Cornell  settled  on  what  we 
{;all  Clason's  Point.  Both  of  these  settlements  were 
made  by  and  with  the  consent  of  the  Dutch  au- 
thorities. This  and  the  adjoining  teri-itory  had 
been  christened  by  the  Dutch  A^reedelandt  or  the 
"free  land,"  for  on  it  the  W^est  India  Company 
permitted  and  enc<>ur:iged  settlements  by  the  niMuy 
refugees    from  New    Miiuhmd.  drivr-n    nwnx'    1)\"  the 


THE   BOROUGH  TOWN  OF  WESTCHESTER.  3 

religious  persecutions  of  that  country.  The  en- 
joyment of  these  privileges  was  short  lived,  for  the 
homes  of  the  settlers  were  destroyed  by  the  Indian 
raid  of  the  Weekquasesgeeks  in  1652.  They  drove 
the  Cornell's  from  Clason's  Point,  Throckmorton 
from  Throgg's  Neck,  and  foully  murdered  Ann 
Hutchinson,  the  most  distinguished  of  all  the  New 
England  refugees,  at  her  home  on  the  borders  of  the 
township.  This  fearful  calamity,  the  lack  of  in- 
terest manifested  towards  the  colony  by  the  Hol- 
land government,  the  possibly  factitious  influences 
of  the  English  speaking  subjects  of  tVie  company, 
who  had  settled  at  Oostdorp  or  tlie  East  Village,  as 
Westchester  was  then  called,  all  tended  to  render 
New  Netherland  an  easy  conquest  for  the  English 
in  1664,  as  it  is  a  matter  of  history  that  many 
other  Englisli  besides  Throckuiorton  and  Cornell 
settled  at  Oostdorp,  without  permission  from  the 
Dutch.  Petrus  Stuyvesant  to  punish  them  had  also 
imprisoned  some,  and  only  released  them  on  the 
petition  of  weeping  wives  and  oaths  of  alle- 
gience  to  the  Dutch  Company  and  accepting  such 
magistrates  as  Stuyvesant  approved.  It  also  ap- 
pears, that  even  a  few  months  before  the  surrender, 
one  Thomas  Pell  from  Connecticut,  who  had  pro- 
cured an  Indian  grant,  confirmed  by  Connecticut, 
dated  1654,  covering  all  the  region  within  our  town- 
ship, and  much  more  in  Eastchester,  prevailed 
upon  the  English  settlers  at  Oostdorp  to 
transfer  their  rights  to  him,  and  then  on  the  next 
day  he  generously  permits  tliem  "  to  enjoy  the 
fullest   improvements    of    tlieir   labors." 

Hardly  was  the  English  order  of  things  es- 
tablished when  Pel]  l)(^gan  a  suit  in  the  Coui't 
of     Assi/es      (o     oust    the     Cornell      heirs      from 


4  THE  BOROUGH   TOWN   OF  WESTCHESTER, 

tlieir  settlement  on  Clason's  Point,  but  tiie 
Court  recognized  the  early  grants  and  upheld 
the  articles  of  capitulation  by  which  every  man 
was  secured  in  the  estate  possessed  by  him  at 
the  time  of  the  surrender.  Nicoll,  the  English  com- 
mander, acted  with  fairness  and  wise  deliberation. 
The  people  who  had  either  under  the  Dutch  or 
Pell's  auspices,  settled  between  Rattlesnake  or 
Black  Dog  Brook  or  west  of  Hutchinson's  River 
were  permitted  to  remain. 

This  settlement  was  where  part  of  Wakefield, 
now  also  annexed  to  the  city,  and  Mount  Vernon 
are  situated. 

Cornell's  grant  on  the  Neck  was  confirmed  as  far 
east  as  Barrett's  Creek. 

The  people  at  Oostdorp  were  not  disturbed 
and  Pell  was  kept  generally  to  the  east  of  Hutchin- 
son's River. 

Having  adjusted  the  disputed  grants,  in  1667, 
Nicoll  issued  the  first  patent  calling  the  town 
Westchester,  describing  it  within  the  same  bound- 
aries it  had  at  it  recent  dissolution.  He  appointed 
John  Quinby,  John  Ferris,  Nicholas  Bayley,  Wil- 
liam Betts  and  William  VV alters  on  behalf  of  them- 
selves and  the  other  freeholders  and  inhabitants 
patentees  of  all  the  lands  in  the  said  town  not  other- 
wise disposed  of.  The  political  and  proprietary 
rights  secured  by  this  grant  created  a  community 
with  each  freeholder  possessing  his  share  in  the 
land  with  rights  of  pasture  in  the  range  for  cattle, 
sheep  and  hogs,  which  by  the  terms  of  the  grant 
extended  into  the  woods  indefinitely  but  really  only 
until  some  line  of  an  earlier  grant  was  found.  Each 
one  was  also  entitled  to  a  home  lot — which  soon 
became   a   fee  estate.     The    home   lots    were  about 


THE  BOROUGH  TOWN  OF  WESTCHESTER.  5 

where  the  present  village  now  is.  The  pasture  lands 
or  commons  extended  at  first  in  every  direction, 
but  were,  as  the  inhabitants  increased,  gradually 
allotted  in  severalty  by  the  freeholders  at  town 
meetings.  Magistrates,  subject  to  the  approval  of 
the  Governor,  were  elected  by  the  people  and,  thus 
he  little   Republic  began. 

They  were  farmers  or  men  with  trades 
necessary  in  a  rural  neighborhood.  Nicoll  had 
changed  the  name  of  th  province  from  New 
Netherland  to  New  York  and  naming  nearly 
all  the  other  settlements  after  the  various  titles 
which  King  James,  then  Duke  of  York,  pos- 
sessed, such  as  York,  Albany,  etc.,  to  carry  out  the 
analogy  called  Long  Island  and  Westchester  York- 
shire. Our  town  lay  in  the  North  Riding  of  York- 
shire. 

During  the  short  interregnum  of  the  Dutch  recap- 
ture in  1673,  the  inhabitants  again  swore  allegiance 
to  the  Dutch.  They  delivered  up  the  fiag  and  the 
constables'  staves  and  joined  in  a  respectful  sub- 
mission. They  were  granted  the  rights  and  privi- 
leges of  Hollanders  and  pardoned  for  their  past  er- 
rors in  "coquetting  with  Pell  and  the  other  English." 

The  terms  of  the  treaty  of  Breeda,  providing  that 
the  Dutch  should  liave  Venezula  or  Surinam  in- 
stead of  New  Netherland,  leaves  little  of  interest  to 
mention  about  the  short  Dutch  reoccupancy.  In 
1673,  we  may  say  the  English  colonial  period  of 
Westchester  began. 

Her  people  at  first  attended  the  courts  and  as- 
semblies held  in  New  York  and  on  Long  Island. 
Governor  Dongan  confirmed  in  1686  the  Nicoll's 
patent,  but  it  continued  to  be  the  North  Riding  of 
Yorkshire  until  1691,  when  the  County  of  West- 
chester was  erected,  and  being   then  the  most   con- , 


6  THE  BOROUGH  TOWN  OF  WESTCHESTER. 

siderable  settlement  it  is  a  fair  deduction  that  the 
town  named  in  1667,  g'dva  the  name  to  the  County 
from  which  it  has  just  been  severed. 

In  1696  Grovernor  Fletcher  erected  Westchester 
into  a  Borough  town,  giving  it  separate  representa- 
tion in  the  General  Assembly. 

Col.  Caleb  Heathcote,  one  of  the  most  distin- 
guished of  all  the  men  in  colonial  times,  and  then 
of  the  Governor's  Council,  seems  to  have  been  one 
of  the  largest  land  owners  and  was  appointed  the 
first  Mayor.  He  was  also  its  first  Assemblyman. 
He,  too,  at  one  time,  was  Mayor  of  New  York,  for 
honors  were  easy  in  those  days,  and  plurality  of  of- 
fices seemed  to  be  the  customary  thing.  Besides 
he  was  a  Judge  and  Colonel  of  the  Militia,  and  as 
in  the  early  days  there  was  no  church,  he  had  his 
men  drilled  on  a  Sunday  and  ordered  the  Captain 
to  read  the  Scriptures  to  them  as  part  of  the  mili- 
tary exercises.  The  Borough  continued  to  have  its 
representation  in  the  Provincial  Assembly,  sep- 
arate from  the  other  parts  of  the  County  down  to 
the  time  when  Tryon,  the  last  Colonial  Governor  of 
New  York,  (in  1776),  taking  refuge  on  a  British  ship 
in  New  York  Harbor,  prorogued  the  last  session  of 
the  Colonial  Legislature.  The  Morrises,  Liberals, 
or  the  DeLanceys,  Tories,  seem  to  have 
been,  after  Heathcote,  tlie  representatives  for 
the  Borough,  as  the  Liberal  or  Fory  parties  prevail- 
ed, for  the  Morrises  were  freemen,  though  not  resi- 
dents of  the  Borough,  and  the  DeLanceys  at  the 
West  Farms  Mills  had  sticeeeded  in  rhe  female  line 
to  Heathcote,  as  he  left  no  male  heirs  to  his  hold- 
ings. 

Isaac  Wilkins,  the  owner  of  Castle  Hill,  who 
had  intermarried  with  the  Morrises  of  Morrisania, 
was  also  the  representative  just  before  the  Revolu- 


THE  BOROUGH  TOWN  OP  WESTCHESTER.  7 

tion .  His  family  tie  with  that  Revolutionary 
stock  did  not  prevent  his  siding  with  the  King,  and 
later  he  became  a  loyal  refugee  from  the  country 
and  lived  for  a  time  in  England.  Returning  after 
the  Revolution,  he  retained  the  homestead  on  Cas- 
tle Hill,  took  holy  orders  and  became  rector  of  St. 
Peter's  after  the  establishment  of  the  new  order  of 
things.  History  takes  no  sides  but  records  facts, 
and  a  distant  connection  cannot  now  refrain,  after 
the  heated  family  and  political  dissensions  are  end- 
ed, to  give  to  good  Parson  Wilkins'  memory 
the  tribute  it  merits.  Loyal  to  his  King,  he  sided  with 
the  Phillipses  of  Yonkers  and  other  Tories,  and  did 
all  he  could  by  pen,  speech  and  in  open  opposition 
to  Lewis  Morris,  his  brother-in-law,  who  as  a  repre- 
sentative of  New  York,  signed  the  Declaration  of  In- 
dependence. But  after  the  War  he  came  back  to  his 
old  home,  was  foremost  in  helping  his  former  neigh- 
bors to  reorganize  their  affairs,  taught  them  not 
only  higher  agriculture,  learned  by  him  in  England, 
but  for  years  as  luy  reader,  and  ordained  priest,  from 
the  pulpit  of  Saint  Peter's,  read  the  beautiful  ser- 
vice of  the  Protestant  Episcopal  Church,  adminis- 
tered its  sacraments  and  told  the  old,  old  story  of 
duty  to  Cxod  and  duty  to  neghbors. 

To  return  to  a  further  consideration  of  the  an- 
cient Borough:  With  Heathcote  as  Mayor,  we  find 
William  Barnes,  John  Stuart,  William  Willett, 
Thomas  Baxter,  Josiah  Stuart  and  John  Bailey 
the  first  Aldermen,  and  Ismel  Honeywell,  Robert 
Huestis,  Samuel  Ferris,  Daniel  Turner  and  Miles 
Oakley,  the  Assistant  Aldermen.  It  had  its  sepa- 
rate seal.  Mayor's  Court,  Constable,  Keeper  of  the 
Mace,  and  other  usual  municipal  parapharnalia. 
Its  well  kept  records  show  the  mode  of  life 
adopted  by  those  rural  burghers. 

Three  mills   were   in    the   township,   one   at    the 


8  THE   BOROUGH   TOWN   OF   WESTCHESTER. 

West  Farms,  on  the  Bronx,  another  near  the  mouth 
of  Black  Do^  Brook  and  a  tide  mill  and  causeway 
at  the  crossing  of  Westchester  Creek,  connecting 
Throgg's  Neck,  which  is  almost  an  island,  with  the 
mainland.  A  ferry  running  to  Flushing  was  es- 
tablished at  the  end  of  the  Throgg's  Neck  road,  not 
far  from  where  Thomas  Ilavemeyer's  Dock  now  is. 
Pelham  Bridge  was  not  built  until  long  after  the 
Revolution,  and  the  driving  route  to  New  York 
was  to  Kingsbridge  by  way  of  the  ford  or  bridge 
at  West  Farms  near  the  present  dam  by  the  ice 
house  in  Bronx  Park,  or  after  crossing  the  Bronx 
by  a  lane  on  the  west  side  of  the  Bronx  leading  to 
Morrisania,  where  Harlem  Iliver  was  crossed  by  a 
scow  ferry  which  landed  passengers  near  the  foot 
of  125th  Street.  This  Borough  existence  was  re- 
cognized as  late  as  the  full  establishment  of  the 
state  government  in  1785. 

Some  have  likened  this  ancient  town  to  those  of 
New  England  and  Long  Island,  whilst  others,  zeal- 
ous members  of  the  Episcopal  Church,  have  tried  to 
make  themselves  and  others  believe  that  the  town 
was  a  reproduction  of  an  English  parish  of  the  18th 
century  such  as  we  read  of  in  the  Spectator  or  the 
tales  of  Fielding  and  Smollett.  They  fancy  the 
Squire  in  his  high  backed  pew,  the  parson  in  his 
wig,  gown  and  surplice,  telling  the  congregation  its 
duty  to  their  Maker  and  also  as  to  tithes,  the  Royal 
Family,  the  ilouse  of  Hanover,  and  the  Protestant 
Succession.  Neither  is  a  correct  similitude.  The 
officials,  though  elected,  were  subject  to  the  Gover- 
nor's apjproval,  and  no  rigid  rule  as  to  cliurch  mem- 
bership prevailed  as  in  the  New  England  towns. 
The  town,  not  the  church  wardens  and  vestry  at- 
tended to  most  of  the  temporalities  such  as  high- 
ways  and  bridges,   and  tliough    tlie   vestry     levied 


THE  BOROUGH  TOWN  OP  WESTCHESTER.  9 

the  cliurch  rates,  the  town  built  and  paid  for  the 
church,  and  in  very  late  colonial  times  released  its 
interest  in  the  church  property  to 
the       rector,       church      wardens     and       vestry. 

Though  the  Church  was  sujjported  partially  by  a 
tax,  the  school-master  was  supported  by  the  Bor- 
ough, but  until  post  revolutionary  times  the  poor 
were  a  Parish  charge.  Though  an  act  for 
settling  orthodox  ministers  in  the  province  was 
passed  shortly  after  the  establishment  of  the  En- 
glish Colonial  system,  (for  of  course  the  English  was 
the  orthodox  church  in  colonial  times)  those  sons 
of  Cromwellian  soldiers,  Quaker  refugees  and  Inde- 
pendents did  not  at  first  take  kindly  to  a  State 
Church,  and  good  Parson  Bartow,  the  first  Church 
of  England  minister  in  the  town,  did  not  even  wear 
or  own  a  surplice.  Many  of  the  peoj^le  were 
gradually  won  over  to  mother  church,  so  far  as  a 
student  can  judge  from  reading  the  good  minister's 
letters  to  the  Society  in  England,  more  by  his  own 
loving  kindness  and  self  respect  rather  than  any 
inherent  love  those  hard-working  farmers  had  for 
the  Church  of  England.  Besides  the  Quakers  had 
established  their  meeting-house  in  the  town  almost 
as  early  as  the  Church  of  England  edifice  was  erect- 
ed and  its  graveyard  is  still  to  be  found  adjoining 
the  Episcopal  churchyard,  though  the  Meeting 
House  and  those  who  were  moved  by 
the  Spirit  within     it,   have    long  since    departed. 

Across  the  Bronx  a  Dutch  congregation  h^d 
also  been  established  at  Fordbam.  The  first 
Episcopal  Church  was  not  an  imposing  edifice 
though  it  had  an  apology  for  a  steeple  in  the  shape 
of  a  cupola  which  the  clergyman  in  his 
letter's  to  England  said  looked  like  a  pigeon 
house,  and  though  the  clergyman  was  paid 
a  small      stipend,    it      was      added    to      by    re- 


10         THE  BOROUGH  TOWN  OF  WESTCHESTER. 

mittances  from  the  Society  for  the  PropogatioQ  of 
the  Gospel  in  Foreign  parts.  The  parson  more  than 
earned  his  salary,  for  not  only  did  he  have  the  church 
in  Westchester,  but  Yonkers  and  Eastch^ster  also 
came  under  his  ministration.  The  church  at  West- 
chester has  the  distinction  of  having  had  as  its  rector 
at  the  outbreak  of  the  Revolution,  the  Rev.  Samuel 
Seabury,  afterwards  consecrated  bishop  in  Scot- 
land, from  whom  our  other  bishops  in  the 
Protestant  Episcopal  Church  of  the  United 
States  trace  apostolic  succession,  but  the 
glamour  of  its  ever  having  been  a  semi-aristocratic 
living  in  the  English  sense  of  the  term  is  founded 
on  no  state  of  facts  which  are  worthy  of  credence. 
Some  documents  following  the  English  form  were 
signed  by  the  Bishop  of  London  and  entrusted  to 
Colonial  Governors  to  enable  them  to  induct  the 
reverend  gentlemen  into  the  parish,  wherein  early 
times  they  were  grudgingly  paid  and  sometimes  not 
paid  at  all,  and  it  is  a  fair  statement  to  make  that 
from  the  time  of  Bartow  to  Seabury  in  colonial 
times  and  from  Wilkins  to  the  present  Dr.  Clen- 
denin,  tithes  were  unknown.  Advowsons^  in  the 
English  sense  of  the  word,  did  not  exist,  and  the 
good  example  and  holy  lives  of  the  clergyman  them- 
selves were  the  centre  and  controlling  powers,  under 
God,  of  old  St.  Peter's  influence,  whether  it  was  the 
good  Bartow  acting  as  a  missionary  to  the  souls  of 
a  . flock  without  a  shepherd,  or  the  present  reverend 
incumbont,  who,  by  his  manly  actions  and  fair  out- 
spoken war  on  vice  and  disorder,  succet^ded  at  the 
head  of  its  better  citizens  in  purging  the  town  from 
political  misrule,  finally  succeeding  in  obtaining 
the  legislation  vvhich  has  annexed  the  Township  to 
the  City  of  New  York. 

From  a  very  early  period  a  Court  House  and 
jail  for  the  County  had  been  located  at  West- 
chester.    It     was   burned   in    1790.      Courts    were 


THE  BOROUGH  TOWN  OP  WESTCHESTER.  11 

frequently  held  there  before  that  time. 

The  representatioQ  of  the  Borough  lu  the  Board 
of  Supervisors  was  continuous  down  to  1778,  but 
from  that  year  to  1784,  no  record  of  a  supervisor 
as  such  appears,  as  the  town  was  within  the  debate- 
able  ground  during  the  Revolution.  To  the  credit 
of  the  Borough,  however,  it  appears  that  many  of  its 
inhabitants,  refugees  from  their  homes,  considered 
themselves  freeholders  and  inhabitants  of  the  Bor- 
ough and  appeared  at  the  temporary  Court  House 
on  King  street,  near  the  Connecticut  border  and  ap- 
pointed Thomas  Hunt,  Abraham  Leggett,  Israel 
Honeywell,  John  Oakley,  Gfilbert  Oakley,  Daniel 
White  and  John  Smith  to  serve  the  town  on  the 
County  Committee,  which  gave  so  much  aid  during 
the  Revolution. 

The  annals  of  the  Borough  in  Revolutionary  times 
are  worthy  our  consideration.  As  you  remember 
after  the  battle  of  Long  Island,  in  the  summer  of 
1776,  Washington's  army  still  occupied  the  north- 
ern portion  of  Manhattan  Island.  A  strong  line  of 
American  pickets  was  posted  along  the  West- 
chester County  shore  of  Harlem  River  stretching 
from  Kingsbridge  to  Hell  Gate.  The  plan  of  Howe, 
the  British  General,  was  to  destroy  the  American 
army  on  Manhattan  Island  and  then  pushing  north 
and  east  to  obtain  a  footing  in  Westchester  County 
so  as  to  cut  oif  the  line  of  communication  between 
New  England  and  New  Jersey.  With  the  deep 
harlbor  of  New  York  and  its  city  as  his  base  of  sup- 
plies from  without ;  the  roads  along  and  leading  to 
the  Hudson  in  his  possession  ;  with  all  Westchester 
and  Long  Island  ior  foraije,ioood2indi  other  supplies, 
his  wedge  of  veterans  could  separate  the  thirteen 
colonies  and  make  an  easy  connection  for  another 
army  to  advance  from  Canada.     But  Washington's 


12  THE   BOROUGH   TOWN   OP   WESTCHESTER. 

prophetic  eye  forsaw  the  danger.  His  raio  and 
ever  elianging  army,  he  knew,  could  not  for  long 
cope  with  veterans — short  of  supplies,  arms  and 
ammunition,  pay  doubtful,  jealousy  between  colon- 
ies, complicated  congressional  aid,  and  a  population 
in  the  city  of  New  York  divided  as  to  the  merits 
of  the  controversy,  rendered  his  tenure  of  Port 
Washington  on  Manhattan  Island  subject  to  the 
worst  of  all  enemys,  treachery  in  Ills  midst.  Polit- 
ical as  well  as  military  considerations  required  that 
he  should  guard  well  an  interior  line  of  communi- 
cation between  the  colonies.  The  Hudson  and  fast- 
nesses of  the  Westchester  Hills  were  chosen  as  the 
citadel  from  whicli  he  nevnr  swerved  during  the 
long  war.  Events  in  our  Borough  rendered  this 
masterly  strategy  possible. 

As  early  as  August,  1776,  a  part  of  Howe's  fleet 
made  a  reconuoisance  up  East  River  and  Long  Is- 
land Sound  as  far  as  City  Island.  The  landing 
party  on  Pelham  Neck,  after  committing  some  dep- 
redations, weie  driven  away  by  Graham's  regiment 
of  Westchester  militia.  A  flank  movement  on 
Washington's  left  and  rear  and  the  hemming  in  of 
the  army  on  Manhattan  Island  were  therefore  to  be 
guarded  against,  and  on  September  4th,  Washing- 
ton and  General  Heath,  who  commanded  the  Ameri- 
cans in  Westchester,  consulted  together  at  Kings- 
bridge.  Heath  formed  a  chain  of  videttes  along  the 
East  River  extending  all  along  shore  from  Hell  Gate 
to  Throgg's  Neck  and  broke  up  the  roads  leading 
from  ilorrisania  and  Delancey's  Mills  to  Kings- 
bridge,  so  as  to  render  them  impassable  for  the 
British  wagons  and  artillery  :  trees  were  felled 
and  deep  pits  dug  in  the  roads.  But  the  enemy's 
intentions  were  not  plain.  Howe  had  landed 
a  number  of  troops  at  Randall's  Island  :  the  con- 
tingencies  against    attacks   on    Fort    Washington, 


THE  BOROUGH  TOWN  OF  WESTCHESTER.  13 

by    way  of   Harlem,    Hunt's    Point    or    Tlirogg's 
Neck  were  all  to  be  guarded  against. 

Several  manoeuvers  were  made  by  both  the 
British  and  Americans  during  September  in  the 
regions  adjacent  to  but  not  pertinent  to  our  sub- 
ject, but  on  October  3rd,  General  Heath,  with 
Colonel  Hand  of  the  Rifles,  made  a  reconnoissance 
as  far  as  Throgg's  Neck.  The  causeway  at  the  old 
village  connecting  the  main  with  Throgg's  Neck 
over  Westchester  Creek,  the  Mill  Dam  of  colonial 
times,  already  referred  to,  seemed  to  be  a  strong 
stragetic  point.  The  bridges  of  planks  over  the 
overflow  and  sluiceway  of  the  tidal  mill  if  removed 
would  form  two  gaps  for  an  enemy  to  cross.  A 
pile  of  cord  wood  arranged  parallel  with  the  creek 
and  on  the  village  side  seemed  as  if  it  was  placed 
there  by  providence  to  form  a  breastwork. 
Twenty-five  of  Hand's  picked  riflemen  were  placed 
behind  the  woodpile.  Should  the  enemy  advance 
from  Throgg's  Neck  the  planking  over  the  water  and 
sluiceway  was  ordered  to  be  taken  up  and  in  case 
they  could  not  prevent  the  enemy's  advance  they 
were  told  to  burn  the  mill  and  retreat.  Further 
to  the  east  at  the  head  of  Westchester  Creek  where 
the  salt  meadows  intervene  between  that  estuary 
and  Pelham  Bay,  about  where  the  Pelham  Park- 
way now  crosses,  another  force  was  posted  to  pre- 
vent a  crossing  over  the  meadows  and  the  capture 
of  the  road  leading  to  Eastchester.  On  the  12th 
day  of  October,  the  British  fleet  and  boats  laden 
with  troops  went  up  the  East  Eiver  and  landed  at 
Throgg's  Neck  where  the  present  highway  ends  at 
the  Havermeyer  place.  They  got  as  far  as 
the  east  end  of  the  causeway.  Hand's  men 
took  up  the   planking   on    the   bridge   and  opened 


14  THE  BOROUGH   TOWN   OF  WESTCHESTER, 

fire.  The  unerring  aim  of  American  rifles  checked 
tlie  veterans  of  European  battle  fields,  and,  just  as 
preconceived,  the  left  flank  at  the  head  of  the 
Creek  was  attacked.  But  Prescott,  with  his  men, 
who  had  fought  at  Bnnker  Hill,  re-inforced  the 
riflemen  at  the  wood  pile  and  causeway.  A  three- 
pounder  cannon  served  b}''  Bryant  also  did  good 
service  there,  while  Graham  with  his  Westchester 
regiment,  the  rest  of  Col.  Hand's  regiment  and 
Jackson's  six  pounder,  held  the  head  of  the  creek 
Night  fell  and  the  British  bivouacked  on  the  Neck. 
Washington  visited  the  line  late  in  the  day,  encour- 
aged his  gallant  men,  whom  he  found  in  good  spir- 
its, and  his  former  doubts  became  a  conviction  that 
Westchester  County  was  the  object  of  Howe's  at- 
tack. Earthworks  were  thrown  up  by  both  armies 
on  each  side  of  the  old  bridge.  Our  riflemen  and  the 
British  yagers  kept  up  a  skirmish  fire  for  the 
next  two  days,  and  Howe  finding  our  position  too 
strong  to  carry  with  ligb*^  <iroops,  advanced  his 
heavy  guns  and  commenced  the  erection  of  a  heavy 
earthwork  on  the  heights  opposite  the  bridge  and 
village  near  where  the  Presbyterian  Church  now 
stands.  While  this  light  line  of  Americans  held 
the  main  part  ot  Howe's  army  in  check,  news  was 
brought  to  Washington  of  the  Hessians  having 
landed  at  New  Rochelle.  With  a  considerable 
force  of  British  in  his  front  at  Manhattan  Island 
and  the  powerful  force  on  his  left  flank  and  rear 
ready  to  advance  on  Kingsbridge  and  sure  to 
gain  that  point  finally,  a  movement  ot  the  main 
army  was  necessary.  Six  days  had  intervened 
since  Howe's  lauding  at  Throgg's  Neck.  In  that 
time  the  masterly  retreat  up  the  Albany  Post  Road 
to  the  Sawmill  River  and  along  the  west  bank  of  the 
Bronx  was  made  towards  White  Plains  and  only  a 
small  garrison   was   left  in   Port   Washington    on 


THE  BOROUGH  TOWN  OF  WESTCHESTER.  15 

Manhattan  Island.  On  the  18th,  Howe  opened  fire 
with  his  heavy  guns  from  the  earthwork  opposite 
the  village  and  attacked  the  meadows,  his  seeming 
objective  point  the  Eastchester  and  Kingsbridge 
roads.  For  same  unaccountable  reason  his  attack 
in  that  direction  was  not  made,  though  there 
was  skirmishing  and  artillery  fire,  merely  as  a  feint, 
for  his  final  object  was  to  form  a  junction  with  the 
Hessians  at  New  Rochelle,  which  he  accomplished 
after  a  hard  fight  with  Glover  and  his  Marblehead 
Regiment  on  Pelham  Neck — but  that  junction  was 
also  delayed  to  put  his  men  across  Pelham  Bay  in 
boats  instead  of  carrying  the  Eastchester  road  and 
marching  either  to  New  Rochelle  or  Kingsbridge. 
The  battle  of  White  Plains  and  the  Hessian  con- 
quest of  Fort  Washiiigton  is  outside  the  scope  of 
our  paper,  but  to  our  Borough  belongs  the  honor  of 
being  the  site  where  Howe's  advance  was  checked 
and  the  retreat  to  White  Plains  made  possible.  It 
is  hoped  that  the  patriotism  of  the  residents 
of  the  old  Borough  will  before  long  place  a  monu- 
ment near  the  old  causeway  comriiemorative  of  this 
seemingly  slight  but  vastly  important  battle  of 
Westchester  Creek. 

Time  will  not  permit  us  to  tell  the  numerous  tales 
of  partisan  warfare,  foraging  raids,  and  romantic 
episodes  of  love  and  war  which  our  old  Borough 
witnessed  during  those  stirring  times  when  it  was 
part  of  the  debatable  ground — suffice  it  to  say  that 
never  again  did  a  large  force  visit  it  during  the 
Revolution,  and  its  ancient  oaks  attest  the  fact  of 
its  not  having  suffered  as  heavily  from  the  ravages 
of  war  as  other  parts  of  our  county  immediately  to 
the  west. 

The  war  was  over,  a  new  rule  began  and  our  old 
Borough,  still  recognized  as  such  in  its  proprietary 
rights,  became  part  of  the  Great  Republic.    lu  1791 


16  THE   BOROUGH   TOWN   OF   WESTCHESTER. 

the  town  was  extended  to  take  in  all  the  southern 
part  of  Westchester  County  south  of  Yonkers  and 
Eastchester  between  the  Hudson  and  East  River. 
How  West  Farms  and  Morrisania  were  carried  out 
the  reconstrncted  town,  and  how  West  Farms 
and  Morrisania  became  the  23d  and  24th  wards  of 
New'York  city,  leaving  Westchester  cut  off  by  city 
parks  from  the  rest  of  the  County  you  all  know. 
A  few  words,  however,  of  the  ancient  towm  within 
its  Borough  limits  describing  it  in  its  lost  rural 
condition  will  complete  our  sketch.  The  early 
maps  of  Colonial  times,  the  official  campaign  map 
made  by  Erskine,  Washington's  geographer,  now 
in  the  New  York  Historical  Society,  the  official 
township  and  county  maps  on  file  with  the  state 
engineer,  the  mid-century  map  of  Sydney  and  Neff , 
the  ancient  town  and  Borough  records  and  deeds  at 
White  Plains,  and  tales  told  to  us  as  boy  and  man 
by  friends  and  neighbors,  all  are  the  materials  on 
which  we  base  the  mementoes  of  the  social  side  of 
the  Borough  in  post  Revolutionary  times. 

Between  the  Revolution  and  our  mid-century  we 
find  the  Necks  occupied  by  wealthy  merchantis  who 
placed  on  the  breezy  shores  of  the  East  River  their 
summer  homes,  but  compelled,  as  now,  by  the  ex- 
acting cares  of  commercial  life  to  be  near  the  grow- 
ing metropolis.  The  point  of  Clason's  Neck  was  in 
the  occupation  of  Daniel  Ludlow,  grandfather  of 
people  who,  to-day,  move  in  the  most  re- 
spected circles  of  New  York  society  ;  his  colonial 
mansion  is  still  standing  ;  his  four-in-hand  with 
relays  on  the  road  to  New  York  was  the  fore-run- 
ner of  the  Tally- Ho,  which  now  toots  its  way  to  the 
Country  Club  Old  Walter  Rutherf urd,  a  New  York 
beau  of  the  early  century,  tells  in  his  letters  recentlj' 
published,  how  Abijah  Hammond  was  building  a 
palace  at    Westchester,    Abijah   i^   gone,    but  tlie 


THE  BOROUGH  TOWN  OF  WESTCHESTER.  17 

house  still  stands  at  the  end  of  Throgg's  Neck,  oc- 
cupied in  later  times  by  the  Whiteheads,  Haver- 
meyer,  the  founder  of  the  great  sugar  house  and 
Supervisor  of  the  Town,  and  now  by  his  son 
Thomas :  grand  example  of  colonial  architect- 
ure with  thick  stone  walls  about  the  grounds 
and  an  incomparable  view  of  Sound  and  river,  from 
whence  no  doubt  Fennimore  Cooper,  on  a  visit  to 
his  Delancey  relatives  in  the  neighborhood,  drew 
his  type  of  the  residence  of  Corny  Lilliei)age,  in 
the  novel  of  Satanstoe  ;  Bayards  were  also  on  the 
Neck  not  far  from  where  the  Coster  house  now 
stands,  and  near  by  later  lived  General  Strong  of 
our  late  war,  and  Silas  M.  Stillwell,  to  whom  belongs 
the  honor  of  abolishing  imprisonment  for  debt, 
George  Lorillard,  one  of  the  three  brothers  had 
built  the  Spencer  house  and  owned  the  farms  on 
which  the  VanCortlandts,  Furmans,  another  Super- 
visor, Edgars,  later  on  the  Waterburys,  Eobert, 
Morris  and  Lorillard  Spencer  had  or  have  their 
holdings  ;  Inland,  the  Ferrises,  Leggetts,  Honey- 
wells,  Heustaces,  names  mentioned  in  the  colonial 
patents,  still  tilled  their  ancestral  acres  on  the  Neck 
Road.  Philip  Livingston,  who  had  married  into 
the  Bayard  family,  signer  of  our  Second  State  Con 
stitution,  had  begun  his  tine  residence  and  planted 
there  the  first  Cedar  of  Lebanon  ever  brought  to 
America,  under  whose  shade,  many  years  after- 
wards, public-SDirited  Peter  VanSchaick  conceived 
the  idea  of  presenting  to  the  town  the  pretty 
Library  building  now  in  the  village,  since  amply 
endowed  by  Collis  P.  Huntington.  On  Castle  Hill 
Neck  Isaac  Wilkins,  already  mentioned,  had  bought 
the  sheep  pasture  commons  and  Combined  the 
care  of  his  congregation  at  St.  Peter's  with  agri- 
culture. He  built  the  house  of  Castle  Hill,  after- 
wards improved  and  enlarged  by  his  courtly  grand- 
son,  Gouverneur   Morris   VVilkins.     The  Hell  Gate 


18  THE   BOROUGH   TOWN   OP  WESTCHESTER. 

pilots  then  i:>lied  their  trade  at  the  old  farm  house 
at  the  end  of  Prime's  Point,  now  occupied  by  the 
Swiss  chalet  of  Jacob  Lorillard,  appropriately- 
called  "All  Breeze,"  and  the  ancestors  of  the  Adees, 
now  at  Pennyfield  on  the  Bay,  then  owned  their 
farms  near  Williamsbridge,  and  their  large  hipped 
roof  house  at  the  junction  of  the  Williamsbridge 
and  West  Farms  Road  was  long  a  landmark  to 
the  wayfarer.  Further  on  at  the  Bronx  Mills  was 
Rose  Hill,  owned  by  the  Delanceys,  heirs  of  Col. 
Heathcote,  with  its  mansion  house,  stone  mill,  out- 
buildings and  ancient  pines.  Some  more  Ludlows, 
as  the  century  wore  on,  settled  on  Classon's  Point, 
originally  Cornell's  Neck,  now  known  as  Black 
Rock,  from  the  huge  bowlder  we  see  looming  up 
amidst  the  fiat  meadows  stretching  towards  East 
River  and  a  new  bridge  and  highway  called  the 
turnpike  was  laid  out  from  the  villag:e  to  West 
Farms  crossing  the  Bronx  and  struck  the  Coles 
road  leading  to  the  New  Harlem  Bridge  at  Lewis 
Morris',  oppsite  Harlem.  The  LeRoys,  Rappelyeas 
and  Edgars  wishing  to  get  from  Pelham  to  Morris- 
ania,  about  1835  built  the  Pelham  Bridge,  famous 
resort  for  fishermen,  and  laid  out  the  road  across 
Dormer's  Island  passing  by  Stinnardtown  and  under 
the  Spy  Oak  to  the  Causeway  at  Westchester. 
Annieswood,  the  Hunter  place,  now  in  Pelham 
Park,  was  built  in  the  fifties  and  not  till  af t(  r  our 
late  civil  war  was  Pelham  avenue  laid  out  across 
the  meadows  where  now  the  Parkway  runs .  Before 
the  mid-century,  David  Lydig  and  his  son  Phillip 
liad  succeeded  Delancey  at  the  mills  and  the  Loi'il- 
lards,  and  Bolton  with  his  bleachery,had  established 
their  snuff  mills  on  the  Bronx,  between  West  Farms 
and  Williamsbridge.  The  Bussings,  Briggs  and 
Corsas  held  most  of  the  land  where  Olinville  and 
Williamsbridge  villages  are  now. 


THE  BOROUGH  TOWN  OP  WESTCHESTER.  19 

On  the  Eastchester  slope,  the  highest  part  of  the 
town,  the  Givan  and  Palmer  homesteads  stood:  the 
latter  home  of  the  charming  wife  of  Captain  May, 
an  artillery  hero  of  our  Mexican  war.  Down  by 
the  meadows  lived  Thomas  Timpson,  a  retired  New 
York  merchant,  while  on  the  Williamsbridge  road 
Capt.  Spencer,  a  navy  officer  of  the  war  of  1812, 
lived  at  the  corner,  whilst  where  now  Morris  Park 
looms  over  the  landscape,  Denton  Pearsall,  retired 
banker  and  butcher,  told  of  his  apprentice  days 
with  one  of  the  Astors,  and  Abram  Hatfield,  many 
times  Supervisor,  cracked  his  jokes  and  told  of  his 
experiences  as  a  New  York  Alderman.  Further 
south  was  the  Mapes  farm,  and  further  down  on 
the  Westchester  Turnpike,  William  Watson's  Wil- 
mont  castle  stood  and  still  stands — home  of  many 
a  merry  dance  and  hearty  hospitality,  and  last, 
but  not  least,  in  fond  reminiscence  and  still  quaint 
and  old,  was  the  village  site  of  ancient  Oostdorp, 
much  then  as  it  is  now,  for  it  was  finished  long 
ago.  Charley  Sherwood,  the  druggist,  Doctors 
Ellis  or  Naudain,  the  medical  practitioners,  Wil- 
liam Cooper,  school  commissioner  and  butcher  ;  the 
old  mill  at  the  causeway,  one  of  the  Blizzards,  the 
miller  ;  near  by  the  town  dock,  at  which  the  good 
sloop  Westchester,  Captain  Ferris,  master,  had  her 
berth,  bringing  supplies  from  the  city  in  exchange 
for  the  farmers'  produce,  for  in  those  days  the  Har- 
lem Railroad  was  the  nearest  rail  transportation, 
and  Aleck,  blowing  his  horn,  made  the  rounds  with 
the  stage  to  take  up  and  set  down  a  few  venture- 
some passengers  who  journ'T^yed  cityward.  Nigh  to 
the  dock,  fronting  the  then  open  green,  stood,  and 
still  stands,  the  sober-tinted  hipped  roof  store  of 
that  most  excellent  of  men,  Sidney  B.  Bowne,  who, 
if  living  to-day,  could  give  Macy,  Stern,  or  even 
the  great  store  of  Siegel  Cooper  points  in  the 
variety  of  his  wares.      Anything  desired   was  sure 


20         THE  BOROUGH  TOWN  OF  WESTCHESTER. 

to  be  on  hand,  and  tradition  said  that  even  pul- 
pits and  goose  yokes,  hand-made  in  those  days, 
formed  part  of  his  stock  in  trade.  Good  old  Mr. 
Bowne,  you  were  loved  and  respected  by  rich 
and  poor  !  the  memory  of  thy  kindly  "thees"  and 
"thous,"  thy  pleasant  smile  and  green  baize  apron 
covering  thy  warm  heart  as  thou  dealt  out  our 
Jackson  balls  and  bolivars,  is  one  of  our  fondest 
youthful  memories  ! 

The  second  Episcopal  Church  edifice,  with  its 
pepper-pot  steeple  and  colonial  bell,  its  high- 
backed  pews,  and  good  Doctor  Jackson  in  its 
doable  decked  pulpit,  was  then  standing— since, 
destroyed  by  fire.  Captain  Hawkins  occupied  the 
grounds  of  the  former  court  house  on  one  side, 
while  on  the  other  was  the  orthodox  Quaker  meet- 
ing house  and  graveyard,  and  diagonally  opposite, 
as  it  should  be,  was  another  sober  tinted  meeting 
house  of  the  Hicksite  persuasion.  Opposite  Saint 
Peter's  the  Brothers  Harrington  maintained  their 
school  for  boys,  whose  grandchildren  are  still  be- 
ing taught  by  the  surviving  brother  at  the  present 
school  on  the  Throgg's  Neck  hill,  and  further  on 
the  turnpike  were  Edward  Haight,  the  Congress- 
man, Doctor  Ellis  and  Andrew  Findlay,  surveyor, 
arbitrator,  colonel  of  militia,  assenjblyman,  and 
supervisor  of  two  towns  in  one  session  at  the  divis- 
ion of  West  Farms  and  Westchester  in  1S46 — an 
instance  never  likely  to  occur  again  anywhere 
else  except  in  Westchester  County. 

Its  history,  after  the  last  division  of  the  town, 
from  the  service  of  Kindlay,  in  1846.  to  that 
of  Augustus  M.  Field,  the  last  Supervisor  in 
1895,  her  gradual  change  from  a  rural 
picturesque  region  to  one  more  utilitarian, 
is  best  told  by  Shell's  new  map  of  Westchester,  made 
just  before  its  annexation.  The  Underhills  have 
given  place  to  the  Catholic  cemetery  on  the  Neck, 


THE  BOROUGH  TOWN  OP  WESTCHESTER.  21 

the  Eastern  Boulevard  skirts  the  Country  Club 
grounds,  where  erstwhile  the  Ferrises,  Bayards 
and  Coopers  had  their  homes;  the  Protectory  with 
its  large  domain,  and  Morris  Park  with  its  grand 
stand,  loom  up  on  the  high  lands,  points  in  the 
landscape  where  formerly  Saint  Peter's  spire 
was  the  sole  landmark  to  the  mariner  of  Long 
Island  Sound. 

The  Parkway  connects  Bronx  and  Pelham  Parks, 
the  Lorillard  and  bleach  mills  no  longer  resound 
with  the  hum  of  machinery,  but 

"  Gentle  Bronx  still  mildly  flows 
Its  verdant  banks  between," 

and  on  its  shores  the  tired  and  worn  workers  of  the 
great  city  find  recreation  and  fresh  air  in  the 
People's  domain  of  Bronx  Park.  The  hamlets 
of  Olinville,  Williamsbridge  and  Wakefield  are 
larger  than  the  County  seat  in  1851,  and  problems 
of  drainage,  sewerage  and  road-making  succeed  to 
the  former  cares  of  an  agricultural  community. 
Everywhere  the  electric  cars  encumber  or  wdll  en- 
cumber the  highways,  and  the  Intercolonial  express 
on  the  New  Haven  branch  scares  the  waterfowl 
with  its  whistle  from  the  green  meadows  at  the 
head  of  the  creek. 

The  old  town  which  gave  a  name  to  a 
county  is  dead;  its  histoiy  and  traditions  alone 
survive,  but  the  forms  of  its  worthies  still 
go  trooping  past  on  the  panorama  of  fond  recol- 
lection. Long  since  their  mortal  remains  have 
been  taking  a  quiet  rest  in  Saint  Peter's  or  the 
Quaker  graveyards  as  they  slope  towards  the  creek. 
The  deeds  of  its  early  settlers,  its  martial  and  for- 
ensic heroes,  its  gallant  lads  who  in  a  later  war 
helped  to  maintain  the  Union  their  fathers  made 
possible   at   the  old   causeway,  are   all  examples 


22  THE  BOROUGH   TOWN   OF  WESTCHESTER. 

worthy  of  imitation,  whether  our  feet  rest  od  city 
or  suburban  soil,  and  old  Saint  Peter's  rears  its 
modern  spire  pointing  the  way  towards  the  most 
beautiful  of  all  cities,  to  which  it  is  hoped  we  will 
all  be  finally  annexed,  and  Butler  the  sexton  tolls 
the  colonial  bell,  "ringiag  out  the  old  and  ringing 
in  the  new." 


Tlie  Eastern  State  Jouriml, 
White  Plains,  N.  Y. 


^^ 


LIBRARY  OF  CONGRESS 


.-''?''i 

r?^': 

R- 


^7:  -^^ 


■^ki